I amended the draft in the end by putting in an extra plain weave end between the ribs, which meant that I didn't have to rethread the whole warp in the heddles, but it has resulted in more obvious stripes between the ribs, as you can see here.
This is the corrected draft as I finally threaded it up. I took all the warp ends out of the front 2 shafts, added in the extra heddles and rethreaded, adding in extra new warp ends attached to a rudimentary warp beam (length of dowling) for the new ends highlighted in the draft. It is very Heath Robinson but is working ok.
The washed fabric from the first section I did pulled in quite a bit (see photo below). With only 2 plain weave picks between the ribs, you can barely see the stripes (or the original error!) as the plain weave is deep down between the raised ribs. So I'll be interested to see how the new section looks when washed, and whether the stripes will still be as clearly visible as on the loom. The washed fabric has a really nice feel, very thick and chunky, with a good 3-D effect.
|Washed fabric of old draft with error. The 3-D effect is more marked after washing|
I've been experimenting with some different colour combinations on the same warp. Because it is essentially a type of double weave you can get blocks
of solid colour against different backgrounds. And I quite like the striped effect in the plain weave sections. It shows up quite well with the single blocks of colour, compared to the ribs.